Tuesday, May 17, 2011

An Uncatchable Fish



Growing up, one of my favorite movies of all time was Big Fish by Tim Burton.

When mentioning it among my friends, it always surprises me that not many have seen or heard of it. There are also others who have seen it and didn't care for it or those who saw it and said that it was "alright," but they probably "won't watch it again." Granted, I am no movie buff or critic...the reason I liked this movie so much was because of the main character, Edward Bloom. Throughout the movie, Edward tells stories of his life to his son...elaborate, unbelievable stories with giants, witches, haunted forests, hidden towns, and an uncatchable fish. The movie goes on to develop the struggling relationship between a father who lives in his fantasies, and a son who only wants to know who his father really is. In the end, Edward Bloom passes away while his son tells the ubelievable story of his life and the uncatchable fish he caught with his wedding ring. The relationship between father and son was restored and, of course, the movie left me bawling on the floor of my living room every time I turned it on.

Perhaps I liked the movie so much because I saw part of myself in Edward Bloom...the part that likes to tell stories. While I prefer to tell my stories in person, I hope I can live up to my expectations on this blog and tell you stories like I saw and remember them. While most of them don't include giants, haunted forests, or a big fish that can only be caught with a wedding ring, I hope my experiences will entertain and inspire you to think creatively and view the world in more than just black and white.

As said in the words of Edward Bloom: "Most people, they'll tell you a story straight through. It won't be complicated, but it won't be interesting either."

1 comment:

  1. The Big Fish is one of my favorites too, I've had some of the same reactions from friends. I think it's too eccentric or unbelievable for some people who cling to reality, or have no imagination.
    I love the part where the twins move away from one another at the funeral!
    I love Forest Gump too, for what they have in common, they each spin a tale of their extraordinary life.
    Thanks for sharing, Tracy B.

    ReplyDelete